Thursday, December 9, 2010

Foresight and Hindsight

When I was choosing a college, I was in a unique position in many ways. Most of my church and high school friends were not even considering out of city or state. In fact, many from my high school weren’t considering college at all. It was weird to be traveling to VA and DC and SC and NY to see colleges. It was even stranger, having grown up in NC to have Yankee parents who didn’t really know a thing about NC schools.
Although, like many young people, my college prerequisites had little to do with tuition, strength of reputation, campus ministry groups, class size and professors and so on. And unlike many young people, I didn’t know or care about the sports or majors offered, etc. I do recall being impressed by the dining halls at a few places and the ratio of women to men at the liberal arts schools. I was as unimpressed by the schools surrounded by cow fields as those squeezed into big city areas. I guess growing up in the burbs made me appreciate being near cities without being in the midst of one.
I knew my parents had some idea about what made for a good school. I knew they knew more than I did. And I knew that was highly colored by the price tag (rightly so). My goals were finding a school far away and preferably one that was fun and had a good shot at getting me into the FBI. I was under a vague impression that this school should “have the right feel” as I walked around campus. Until it came down to decision time, it had not even occurred to me to either take my spiritual needs into account or to pray about the decision. But somewhere in the back of my mind, being so stressed about the biggest decision I had faced yet in my young life, was the impression I should.
I had the presence of mind to call and ask for prayer from several close friends and my youth minister. Again, I think that was more God’s leading than my brilliance. I went to bed that night sure of one thing and woke up sure of something completely different. My college choice had nothing to do with my best visit, best feeling on campus, best programs or professors or even money. I made a decision based on prayer. That was good foresight. In hindsight, I never would have had the campus ministry group or internships I ended up having at churches if I’d gone to my first choice. I probably would have a different career path and an entirely different relationship path.
I feel very fortunate and very blessed that I was guided this way. I had a lot of guidance when it came to choosing a college and the merits and pitfalls, the things to look for and what to avoid and how to get in to whichever I wanted. What I didn’t get much guidance about was how to pray about it and seek God’s guidance. I didn’t get much encouragement to find a place that could be a spiritual home. Growing up Presbyterian, education, career advancement and opportunity were highly valued and encouraged, but the step by steps of discernment were not well laid out. The idea of following God’s leading for where to go to school and to what career God might call me were novel concepts until college.
I continue to believe in the importance of time and energy set aside leading our young people in discernment and self-reflection. By the grace of God, I have had experiences that have led me to my call more quickly than I could have planned on my own. I do believe that the Church, our denomination especially, pastors and educators and the most important educators of all… parents, need to provide this time and energy and space and allow young people to explore their calling. Discernment is most important in times of transition and there are few transitions as big as from high school to college and vocation.
Aside from my work in youth groups, my most rewarding experiences have been working with the program and alum from a project that is targeted at immersing young people in discernment and call. If you want to learn more about it, you can click here. My hope would be to see more programs like this and more churches involved in this and more families encouraging this. I just don’t see how we can encourage our young people to be who God calls them to be without encouraging them to spend time with God to discover what that is and supporting to the best of our abilities what they find for themselves.
As you or young person comes up on their college decisions and college searches, I hope you’ll find ways and people and programs that do just that. College is not just a destination or a step toward a career, but a transition that requires some deep discernment. And if you have the opportunity to deeply discern your path and God’s hope for you in early decisions in life, will you not be more prepared for the other decisions, maybe bigger decisions later on?

No comments: